Are you searching for a place for your furry friend to curl up and rest? Instead of going out and buying an expensive kitty bed, why not make a cat cave and show them how much you love them?
There are plenty of ways to create and design a comfy and cute place for your kitten. From fluffy and funky ones to chic and stylish beds, the ideas are endless. In this article, we will tell you how to make a cat bed on your own that both you and your cat will adore. Without further ado, let’s get started!
Table of Contents
How to make a cat bed out of cardboard
For our first tutorial, there are some things that you need to gather before you start. Let’s have a look!
Things you will need
- Pair of scissors/Box cutter
- Cardboard cox
- Decoration paper
- Craft glue
- Pillow, towel, etc.
- Find a nice, large cardboard box. If you don’t have one at home, ask for a box from your local supermarket. Make sure it is in good condition and is large enough for your cat.
- With the help of a box-cutter or scissors, remove the flaps from the top side of the box. Keep the flaps at the bottom intact.
- Next, you have to make a doorway in the box. Grab a pencil and draw a U-shaped opening in the front.
- Carefully cut the opening with the box-cutter.
- With the help of fabric or decoration paper and craft glue, decorate the box from the outside. This will make the dull box a funky, bright place for your kitten that matches your home decor.
- You have to line the box from inside with something to make it comfortable for the cat. You can use a pillow of the right size, a folded towel, a kitty-quilt, or something else. Place your cat’s favourite toys in the box and the cat bed will be ready for use!
How to make a cat bed from a suitcase
With this funky, retro suitcase bed, each day will be like an adventure for your cat!
Things you will need
- You will need an old suitcase to make a new bed. If you don’t have one with hard sides, you can buy one from the local thrift store.
- Turn the suitcase upside down.
- Apply glue to the bottom of one wooden leg.
- Place it firmly on one corner of the suitcase. Keep some heavy items on top of the leg, and let the glue dry. This will take almost one hour.
- Repeat for the remaining three legs.
- If you are good with power tools, you can also use screws to attach the legs to the suitcase. For this, you will have to place the legs on the bottom side of the suitcase, and then drill through the suitcase into the wooden legs. The legs can act as a crafty scratching post for them as well.
- Once you have attached the legs, it is time to make the suitcase comfortable for the kitten. Place a pillow inside. Make sure it doesn’t have sequins, tassels, or something that your cat can choke on.
- You can attach some cute decorations to the inside lid of the suitcase and add a little bit of personality to the cat bed you have just made. From drawing some images to pasting colourful stickers, the choices are endless.
- You can place a bowl of cat food next to the cat house you have just made to make it more attractive for your pet.
How to make a cat bed from an old piece of clothing
Who doesn’t love a comfy, snuggly sweater, Your cat will love it too!
Things you will need
- Heavy-Duty Needle
- Old Sweater/T-shirt
- Stitching Machine (Optional)
- You can choose any sweater, but a wool sweater is a good choice. It will not only be warm but will be comfortable as well. Make sure that the sweater is clean to prevent any cat allergies.
- Flip the sweater inside out.
- With the help of a needle, sew the neckline shut. If you have a sewing machine, you can use that.
- Turn the sweater the right way
- From one armpit of the sweater to the other, mark a line with a pencil. Along this marked line, make a running stitch either with your sewing machine or a needle. This will create a tube that goes all the way from one opening to the other wrist-opening.
- Insert the stuffing into the tube-like shape you have created.
- Bring the two wrists together to create a circle. This will be the edge of the round cat bed.
- Tuck one of the sleeves inside the other and form a loop.
- Sew around the sleeves in a circle.
- The rest of the sweater will be at the bottom of the DIY cat bed. Line up the sweater fabric against the loop and cut any excess fabric. Stitch the fabric to the plush loop. Voila, your sweater bed is ready!
Why cats need their own bed
Some of you might be wondering why cats need their own bed. Even though we love to snuggle next to our cats, we have to make a separate bed for them due to various reasons. Let’s take a look at some of them.
1. Cats love to sleep
Cats not only love to sleep, but it is also one of the most important things in their lives. On average, a cat sleeps for almost 2/3 of its lifetime. This is twice as much as we sleep. If you worry about buying the best mattress for yourself, why not get your cat a comfy bed as well?
As pet lovers, we tend to treat our cats as a person and ensure that they are comfortable in every way. A nice, warm bed is the right way to shower your pet with love, care, and affection.
2. Helps create a routine for cats
As cat owners, a good reason to get your pet their own cat bed is to encourage it to sleep in one particular place. This will not only create a routine for your cat. Cats sleep over twenty hours each day and are always searching for a quiet spot to lie down.
A DIY cat tent for your feline friend will be the perfect out-of-the-way haven it is looking for. If your cat loves the bed, it won’t have to search for a sleeping place all over the house when it feels sleepy.
3. Keeps the fur contained
A DIY bed will not only be good for your cat but will be beneficial for you as well. How? Well, if your cat is a shedder, you will find piles of fur wherever your cat sleeps. A specific DIY cat bed will keep the fur contained to one spot. This means you won’t have to keep cleaning your home every second of every day to keep all that fur at bay.
The price of pet beds in the market is sky-high and out of budget for many cat lovers. Instead of running to the nearest store and emptying your bank, why not make a bed for your pet yourself? Trust us, it is a lot easier than it looks. Take a look at a few homemade cat bed tutorials given above. With the simple DIY projects that we have discussed above, you can give your furry friends a safe, snuggly, and comfy place to call their own. Time for some cat naps!