DIY projects are an excellent way to upgrade your patio, garden and decking. You can start from a simple outdoor table to an entire dining set. If you’re one of these lucky homeowners who have enough outdoor space and you’re a bit skilful on DIY woodworking plans, then you can make your own garden furniture from pallets at a low budget. You can make a garden outdoor bench, a pallet sofa, an outdoor kitchen, decorate your garden by creating your own beautiful fairy garden, or you can even build a gazebo. But do you know what’s on thing that every garden should have? An outdoor table! Think about it!
A table can be your company in a lazy afternoon or the focal point of an amazing night with friends and family. And why buy one when you can create your own DIY furniture? There are many things you can do, providing that you have a full tutorial. And if you’re here, then this is your lucky day! Why? Because we can provide you with a free plan that will take you there! Use it as a picnic table, a farmhouse table or even a dining room table (if you can take it inside)! So, are you ready for this project? Let’s find out how to make an outdoor table together! Have a look!
Planning for your easy DIY outdoor table
Making an outdoor table on your own is probably the easiest of the DIY woodworking plans, as it has a basic design and straight lines. However, as easy as it might be, you need first to plan your project. These are the first steps that you should take:
- Measure the area where you plan to place the table. You don’t want to make a table that doesn’t fit your garden.
- Once you know the size of your table, it’s time to purchase the wood you will use to create the perfect one for your outdoor space. The usual size for an outdoor dining table is 1.80L x 0.75W.
- Finally, you need to determine and gather the tools you’re going to use. Make sure you have everything. Otherwise, run to the closest hardware store and buy anything that’s missing.
Step-by-step guide: How to make an outdoor table
Since you have everything, you can start making your outdoor furniture. It’s pretty easy. Let’s see what materials and tools you need and the exact steps to make it.
You’re going to need:
- Pressure-treated 2″ x 4″ x 16′ (quantity needed 3)
- Pressure-treated posts 4″ x 4″ x 16′ (quantity needed 2)
- 3″ screws
- Wood glue for outdoors and blue pocket hole screws
- A jigsaw or a mitre saw
- A drill
- Wood filler
- 80-grit sandpaper
- Wood preserver
- 2x boards
- wood boards
Now, if you have your table plan ready, you can follow the below steps:
- The first thing you need to prepare is the table legs. Cut them with a jigsaw at 10-degree angles.
- Next, drill 1 1/2″ pocket holes in both ends of each leg using the jig.
- After drilling the pocket holes, assemble the legs using 2 1/2″ exterior pocket hole screws and wood glue. Make sure you attach the 2×4 between the legs first and then the 2×6.
- Then, get the planked top, attach the legs, and then the stretcher using wood glue and pocket hole screws.
- Once you have attached the legs, it’s time to place the support under the top of the table.
Your wood table is ready. Just before you use it, make sure you fill the pocket holes with a wood filler and then with a 80-grit sandpaper, sand the table to smooth it. Finally, since the table is for outer use, you need to protect it from moisture and water. That’s why you need to apply a wood preserver specially designed for outdoor furniture. After applying the wood preserve, sand the table once more.
Extra tip: To make sure the table will last for a lot of years, apply 3 coats of wood preserver.
Extra features to decorate your outdoor table
You can use your DIY table for many purposes and decorate it as you wish. You can, for example, instead of a wooden barn tabletop to have a polished concrete one. And instead of chairs to get or make a garden bench.
Changing the style and colour of the tabletop, you can completely makeover your piece. Here are some extra features to decorate your DIY table.
- You can create a mosaic on the top of the table using tiles and grout.
- Use wood pallets with legs made of scrap wood to style your table and blend it with the surrounding.
- A more classic choice is to make your table of reclaimed wood.
- You can create a dining table or even a side table with a herringbone pattern.
- A more affordable choice would be to make a pallet table instead of using wood.
- A versatile idea to enjoy dinner and cool drinks with your friend is to make a patio table with built-in drink coolers.
- If you’re a fan of Pottery Barn, create your Pottery-Barn inspired outdoor table.
- For those who like gardening, you can make a table with a built-in planter.
Making your own DIY outdoor dining table is a walk in the park. You can create a simple dining table based on your taste and space. Don’t hesitate to try it. It’s a very easy process and will cost you almost nothing compared to other patio furniture. This DIY plan needs no amazing woodworking skills, so anyone can do it!