White – the colour of calm, peace, and soothing. If your house has rich, vibrant walls and roofs, white drains can complement them perfectly. However, there is a catch – gutters get stained very easily and can ruin the appearance of your home’s exterior.
Over time, the drains collect a lot of debris and leaves. Moreover, the wind brings a lot of dust along with it, and you start to see black, disgusting streaks on the drain. Worry no more; this doesn’t mean you can’t have beautiful, alluring white drains – you just have to learn how to clean stained gutters!
Without further ado, let’s get started!
Homemade Solutions for Cleaning Stained Gutters
You should probably already know how to clean mould off walls and bathroom tiles or stains off your carpets without using chemical cleaners. If you want eco-friendly, homemade solutions to clean the drains, we have several homemade gutter cleaning solutions for you. Let’s take a look at a few of them.
Cleaning Stained Gutters Using Dish Soap and All-Purpose Cleaner
Things You Will Need
- Place the ladder near the gutter. Make sure that it is stable and you will not fall off the ladder while cleaning the gutter.
- Wear protective rubber gloves. Take a small broom with you so that you remove all the fallen leaves and debris. Climb the ladder carefully and clear out all the trash.
- Once you have scraped off the entire solid residue, with the help of a sprayer hose, remove all the dust and dirt. Now you will be able to see the stains clearly.
- Take the all-purpose gutter cleaner and apply it directly to the stains. Let the cleaner sit for 10 to 15 mins.
- Take the scrub brush and thoroughly scrub the stains.
- Wash the area with lukewarm water. If you can still see some light stains, repeat and pour the cleaner and scrub again. Instead of an all-purpose cleaner, you can also use TSP-PF – trisodium phosphate. Your gutter should be clean!
Cleaning Stained Gutter using Bleach
If the stains are very thick, then you will have to use this solution.
Things You Will Need
- Dish Soap
- Remove the leaves, debris, etc., from the gutter.
- Clean it thoroughly with dish soap and water.
- Mix 1-quart water with 1 tbsp. dish soap.
- Add 1 cup of bleach to the mixture.
- Pour this solution over the stains on the outside of the gutters and let it sit for 15 mins.
- Scrub thoroughly and then wash away the soapy residue. Your gutter should be sparkling clean!
Cleaning Stained Gutter using Cream of Tartar
Spices make food come alive. Just by changing the combination of spices, you can change the flavour of any food. However, did anyone think that you can use your spice rack to clean your stained gutter?
It has very strong cleansing attributes. It can even clean up a burnt pan. With a little elbow grease, you will have clean drains. Here’s how you can use cream of tartar to get your gutter sparkling again.
Things You Will Need
- Cream of Tartar
- Mix the tartar with a small amount of water and create a paste.
- With the help of a paintbrush, apply the paste to the stains on your vinyl gutters.
- Let the paste sit for about 15 minutes on the outside of your gutters.
- Next, scrub the paste with a scrubber.
- Wash it off with a water hose.
- If there are some greasy stains left, apply more paste and let it sit for a while.
- Finally, rinse the paste off and say hello to a sparkling clean outside gutter!
Cleaning Stained Gutter using White Vinegar
White vinegar is a magic-cleaning solution. With all the vinegar’s cleaning properties, it should be termed as the magical all-purpose homemade cleaner. From cleaning your stainless steel appliances and heated towel rail to removing stains from wood and mattresses, vinegar can do it all!
Things You Will Need
- White Vinegar
- Pour some liquid detergent on the stained gutter.
- Using a scrubber, scrub away as much dust, mildew, and grime as possible.
- Rinse the gutter with water.
- Mix 1 part vinegar with 1 part warm water.
- Pour the vinegar-water solution over the stains. Let it sit for 15 minutes or until the stain starts to dissolve.
- If the stains are tough, you can directly pour vinegar on them and see it work its magic!
Tips to Keep in Mind for Clean Gutters
You need to have clean drains to enhance the appearance of your home and keep your home safe from rain damage. It will avoid blockages and clogging, which will result in serious damage to your walls – from leakage to ruining the paint and a lot more.
It is not only about cleaning the drains regularly. It is also about cleaning them the right way so that they will remain clean for a longer period of time. Here are a few tips that you need to keep in mind for clean, sparkling drains.
- When you are rinsing the drains, use hot water. It will make it easier for you to wash away the soap, dust, and grime off the drains. You don’t have to use gallons of water – just a small amount would do.
- Before cleaning your drains, carefully assess the extent of the damage. If they are badly stained, then use stronger cleaning agents like vinegar instead of simple dish soap.
- Make sure that you are wearing gloves and coveralls when you are using cleaning agents. Moreover, make sure that you wear eye gear to keep your eyes safe from harmful chemical fumes.
- If you don’t want to climb a ladder or have a fear of heights, you can use a gutter vacuum, gutter flusher, or any other gutter cleaning machine from the local home improvement store. However, you will not be able to see what is happening above, and you will not be able to clean the drains thoroughly.
- Wondering how often you should clean the gutter? Well, this depends on the amount of wind, rain, dirt, etc., that you get in your region. Usually, cleaning the drains twice yearly is sufficient. However, you may have to clean the gutter once every three months as well if the gutter is showing signs of staining.
- If there are pools of water in your drains, it means that the alignment of the drains was shifted during heavy winds or rains. You will have to realign them yourself or call for professional help.
If left unchecked, the drains will not only end up with huge stains but will also get clogged as well.
It is inevitable for anything white to get dirty and grimy over time, especially if you don’t clean them regularly. Apart from the way it looks, not cleaning the drains can cause water clogging as well. With slight effort and the right guidelines, you can have clean, unstained white downspouts. Therefore, there is no excuse for you to procrastinate and delay the cleaning process.
There is no need to buy expensive and, at times, ineffective gutter cleaning products from the market for degreasing them. Simply go through the inexpensive, eco-friendly gutter cleaning homemade remedies that we have listed above. Use them to remove the stain buildup from your white drains and see how beautiful your home looks!
Here’s to a clean, sparkling gutter!