Best 10 Staple Guns
As Of July 2022
We did the
Get the Best Staple Gun for Home Renovation Purposes!
Staple guns can be a great addition to your toolkit as they are ideal to be used for DIY projects or professional carpentry projects. Using nail guns may also seem plausible, but they exert extra force on the material, and as a result, the nails rip through the material, hence damaging it.
There are many home projects that might need a brad nailer or an electric tacker, such as laying the carpet, hanging outdoor decorations or installing wall mouldings. A staple gun is a great choice for professionals and people who love the do-it-yourself projects but choosing the best one can be a bit of a hassle. As of now, we have viewed the top picks in all categories, but, there is a lot more to learn. Keep reading to learn more and choose better!
Why do you need a Staple Gun?
Owning a professional staple gun kit allows you to undertake a variety of general renovation jobs or specialised affixes. Most of the them are best for completing the light work, such as:
- Building membranes
But you can also use them for heavy-duty DIY or large construction projects. Their working is dependent upon their types, such as:
- Manual staple guns are perfect for amateur and for home use purposes.
- The electric ones can be used by professional carpenters. These are ideal for building furniture and stapling t-type, u-type and d-type staples into the hardwood.
Types of Staple Guns
Staple guns are basically of three types, and each one of them has a different functioning. However, choosing any one of them is dependent upon the use. Here are some basic types of staple guns.
Manual Staple Guns
They are the best for use when you work on fixes yourself such as placing new upholstery, pinning net to the fence, revamping your furniture or other basic repairs. The manual stapler is hand-operated, and it is considered to be the easiest to use stapler.
Additionally, it has multiple arrow fasteners to ensure the accommodation of more staple sizes. The drawback of this is that a person can get tired after using this stapler for a long time.
Electric Staple Guns
These are termed heavy-duty staplers, and they work with direct power or an in-built rechargeable battery. If you have a corded stapler, then its use can be limited to a fixed space as it needs a constant wired power supply. This is not the case with battery-operated versions.
It is best to use electric guns for adding the crown staples in the hardwood or any other hard material. It does not come with a trigger like a manual stapler; instead, you just need to place it over the place you are about to insert the staples. Thus, ensuring hassle-free use.
Pneumatic Staple Guns
They require compressed air for working, which is pushed down while squeezing the trigger to insert the staple inside the object. It is the most versatile, powerful and lightweight option among all the staple guns available in the market. The users can adjust the compressor to get different compressing power from the gun. It is a bit more expensive than the previous two versions.
How does a Staple Gun work?
Staple guns are available in various types, and each type varies in terms of the working method. Let’s have a quick look over the working of them.
- Manual Staple Guns: These guns are simple to use. You just need to load the staples in the gun and press the trigger by placing the gun where it needs to staple the pins.
- Pneumatic Staple Guns: Pneumatic staplers are the most effective staplers available as they can be used with an air compressor which you have to buy separately. The air compressor creates the force to staple the nails effectively into the material. When you press the trigger, the blade under the magazine is forced down and released to shoot the nail directly into the wood or other material.
- Electric Staple Guns: It is one of the best stapler products to purchase online as it works on direct power or in-built rechargeable batteries. You just need to press the gun against the material, and it will automatically fire the staple inside the material.
It might be difficult to select the best product when you have ample choices. Whether you are looking to purchase a woodworking staple gun online or from any offline retail store, you need to keep multiple things in your mind.
You need to find a product that has a warranty over its use so that you can be sure that your investment is safe. Apart from this, here are some other factors or features you should look for.
1. Jamming Protection
Jamming is one of the basic problems you might come across while using staple guns. But, most of them feature anti-jam mechanisms to avoid a hassle in placing different types of staples. You should consider that mechanism feature as an important factor before purchasing any product.
2. Stapling Force Adjustments
Staple guns are used for a plethora of purposes, and using the same force for every material can even damage the material. Therefore, look for guns that have adjustable force features. It should allow you to decide the depth of the nail that needs to be stapled in the material. The force adjustment is primarily helpful for working with upholstery or shallow surfaces.
These tools are usually lightweight and easy to use. But, sometimes the weight can be a reason why your it may not go well. A heavy one may also tire your hands early. To prevent this scenario, you should look at whether the type of task you are doing needs a heavy-duty or a lightweight stapler.
Generally, the lightweight ones work best for carpentry purposes as you don’t need to reload them repeatedly. The weight range in which the staple guns are available is between 40 g to 1.43kg. So, now you can choose wisely.
Price is the most critical factor that should be looked upon while purchasing a roofing or upholstery staple gun. The price starts from £14, and it ranges up to £55 depending upon their type, functionality and construction material.
Manual guns are cheaper than electric or pneumatic ones. If you are about to use it occasionally, then purchasing a manual would be the best thing for you. But, if you are a professional who loves to work with speed, go for a pneumatic or electric tacker.
5. Some additional features
Apart from the above-mentioned factors, you need to focus on some additional features to make a smart purchase. Here is a list of the factors that also play a relevant role:
- Design: The design of such a tool affects the ease of use. Therefore, look for the ones that have an ergonomic design and superior grip.
- Operation Mode: If you are looking for a staple gun for professional use, then go for electric corded/ cordless or pneumatic guns. Otherwise, you can choose a manual one that is easy to use and cheaper than the other two.
- Durability: Just go for the one that has immense durability and comes with a warranty, there is no need to play around when buying such tools.
How much should you spend on a Staple Gun?
The money you want to spend depends on the purpose, whether it is for do-it-yourself use or professional use. It is also affected by the features that you need. Here you can get a bit of an idea of how much you need to spend on a staple gun.
- Manual staple guns are the cheapest in the segment as they are available for a base price of £14. These can be used for DIY, such as upholstery or decoration stapling. Additional features might boost the price.
- Electric corded or cordless guns are a bit costly, and their price starts from £21, and it ranges up to £214 depending on quality and features. Also, the need for reloading frequently is not the case here.
- Pneumatic staplers come in the same price range as the electric ones, and their functioning ability is also similar to them. If you are a pro, then opt for a pneumatic or electric one.
How To Use A Staple Gun Properly: Safety First
Using a staple is easy, and kids love to staple anything their parents would allow. But sometimes, using a stapler can be unsafe, so it’s better to follow these safety steps. Here are some crucial steps to safely use a staple gun.
- Carefully study the product manual for instructions.
- Never leave your tool unattended, especially when you have children around.
- Always prefer using a staple gun that includes a safety lock. Also, enable the safety lock whenever you are not using it.
- Never point the nose of the staple gun to any of your body parts or someone else's body part.
- Be sure that your fingers do not touch the trigger while carrying it around.
How do you load a Staple Gun?
Loading a staple gun is easy if you are following a series of steps. You need to stay focused while loading it as a single mistake can lead to worse circumstances.
Step 1: You need to release the loading magazine by pressing and unclipping the magazine clip.
Step 2: Slide the loading magazine from the rear side of the gun until it has been completely out.
Step 3: Insert the staples and ensure their legs are downwards. The narrow crows or round crowns should be entered centrally in the chamber. In contrast, the brad nails should be inserted in the right or left-hand side of the chamber.
Step 4: Slide the loading magazine back into the stapler and re-clip the magazine. You can try it on a disposable surface to ensure it is working fine.
How to fix a stuck staple?
The modern staples come with an anti-jam mechanism that prevents sticking of the staples inside the gun. If you are occasionally using the staple guns, then it should not take time in clearing the jammed staples out. Here are some quick tips for fixing the stuck staples.
- Open the stapler if the anti-jam feature doesn’t work.
- Then shake it to get the extra jammed staples out.
- Also, you can use a paper clip to remove the jammed staples from the magazine.
- Once the staples are removed, you can close the top and it's ready for use!
Always keep in mind…
In a nutshell, we can conclude that having a staple gun can offer a lot of application in your everyday do-it-yourself tasks. If you want to do heavy-weight stapling jobs, it can help you with that too. The real hassle arises when you have to get one though.
But, with this guide, you will be able to choose the best staple gun for yourself. Plus, you will know how you can use the gun and keep it working effectively for a long time. Be sure to study all the aspects of this guide to make the best pick.