Best 10 Pregnancy Pillows
As Of July 2022
We did the
Get The Best Pregnancy Pillow For A Comfy Night’s Sleep
A pregnancy or maternity pillow is designed to support your body during pregnancy. It makes sleeping comfortable as it offers support for various sleeping positions. But is it really necessary to get a pregnancy pillow? When should you get one, and what to look for?
When to start using a pregnancy pillow
There isn’t any rule when you start using a pregnancy pillow. It’s totally up to you. Most women use one for the first time when they find it difficult to change positions while sleeping. That’s around week 20. It’s the time when the belly expands. Due to belly expansion, many women also suffer from pains in the ligaments as they stretch out and need extra support when sleeping.
How does a pregnancy pillow work?
A pregnancy pillow affects three main body parts: under the belly, behind the back, and between the legs. These three areas need extra support while sleeping during pregnancy. But what exactly does a pregnancy pillow do?
A pregnancy pillow can:
- Keep the neck, back and hips aligned during sleep.
- Reduce the pressure around the hips and pubic bone by keeping the legs parallel to each other.
- Improve blood circulation.
- Improve pregnancy conditions like heartburn and leg cramps.
- Prevent you from rolling over onto the back.
In other words, it helps a pregnant woman sleep comfortably and adjust to new sleeping positions. Being pregnant means gaining extra weight in a very short period. The additional weight places strain on the spine, ligaments and joints. The pain might be more intense while sleeping and combined with the belly, it’s pretty difficult for you to find the proper position to sleep.
But, beyond pregnant women, everyone should think about getting such a pillow. A pregnancy pillow doesn’t relieve back pain only for pregnants. Anyone who suffers from aching and pains, arthritis, chronic back pain, overcoming joint injuries or even recovering from surgery can use them.
Types of pregnancy pillow
There are three main types of pregnancy pillows:
- Wedge-shaped pillow: It supports only a small targeted area, like the belly, behind the back or between your knee. It keeps you steady and prevents you from rolling over during sleep. It can be a cooler option than others. You can choose from a crescent or triangular-shaped wedge pillow.
- U-shaped pillow: This type supports the entire body, from the head and neck to your back, belly, knees and ankles. It keeps legs and hips parallel, supports the neck and aligns it with the back. It’s the biggest pregnancy pillow and usually the most expensive one. It’s great for the women who want to sleep on their back and for those who toss and turn during the night.
- C-shaped pillow: C-shaped pillows are similar to U-shaped ones. However, they are smaller and great for mid-sized beds. This type supports the head, neck, back and pelvic area. It’s excellent for plus-sized women since its shape can be adjusted around any body shape. Its main drawback is that you have to readjust the pillow throughout the night, depending on your sleeping position.
- Full-length pillow: It’s also known as an I-shaped pillow. It’s straight and looks like the regular pillows, only longer. This type is straight and runs along the length of the body. It doesn’t provide back support as it’s used to wrap the arms and legs around it.
- J-shaped pillow: This one is similar to the U-shaped pillow. But it’s smaller and doesn’t have the extra side. It’s ideal for mid-sized beds.
How to choose the perfect pregnancy pillow
When you buy pillows for your bed, there are certain things you should be looking for, like the type, the material is made from etc. The same you have to do with the pregnancy pillows. Here are the things to consider before your final decision:
- Opt for a strong and non-allergenic material.
- Choose a firm pregnancy pillow to maintain its shape for longer.
- If you want to buy a full-body pillow, check its length first to ensure it is long enough to support your whole body.
- Choose a machine-washable pillow or one that has a removable cover.
A pregnancy pillow isn’t a must-have item during pregnancy. But, it will make the best period of your life much more comfortable. Check our list of the best pregnancy pillows with budget-friendly to premium options and choose the one that best suits your needs and your money. Wait no more! Start shopping!