Best 10 Popcorn Makers
As Of July 2022
We did the
Pop Healthy Popcorns With The Best Popcorn Makers At Home!
Do you want to bring the feeling of the movie theatre at home? Watch movies with a bowl of popcorn whenever you want without stepping out of your doorstep. How? Get a mini projector, soundbar and your favourite movie choice and you're set!
Well, if you feel lazy about getting popcorn from the market (who doesn’t?) while planning a movie night at home, then we have the perfect solution for you. You need to consider investing in an air popper!
Most of you must be having various questions in your mind; we will get to them further in the post. But, for now, let’s all admit that a popcorn maker is a great home appliance to invest in. It not only serves you with fat-free and oil-free popcorn but also eliminates the need for going out if you instantly plan a movie marathon or a kids party.
Why do you need a Popcorn Appliance?
If you are a movie lover or tend to throw parties more often, it is necessary to own a popcorn appliance. Why? Well, here are some reasons:
- Ease of use: The key factor that you need to keep in mind is usability. Most of us might not use a popcorn appliance just because we think that it is not easy to use. But it is exactly the opposite. A popcorn appliance has a simple process for users. For most of them, you just need to add maize and you are done.
- Makes healthy goodies: Unlike the packed popcorn available in the market, the ones made using a popcorn appliance are way too healthy. They do not need any oil or butter for popping in a popcorn appliance.
- You can customise the flavouring: As pre-packed popcorns come in a limited number of flavours. With a popcorn appliance, you can make your own flavours by mixing up your favourite ingredients like cheese, maple syrup, chocolate, caramel and many more!
- It is cost-effective: As popping does not require any heavy movement, the power consumption of a popcorn appliance is less. This reduces its usage cost in the long run.
All these are the top reasons for which you need a popcorn appliance!
Types of Popcorn appliances
When searching to buy an air-popped corn maker, you will see countless choices to choose from. Hence, you need to be careful as their operation can vary based on the type. Countertop popcorn appliances can be classified into three broad categories:
This category of poppers uses warm air as a catalyst to turn unpopped kernels into popped corn. The concept of warm air is a bit innovative as it entirely eliminates the use of oil in the popper. Thus, ensuring completely healthy goodies for your entertainment spree. They are easy to clean but are a bit costly as compared to other types.
These poppers are some of the most convenient machines. All you need to do is take the container, add maize with little to no oil (as per preference). Put this container in the microwave, and you are done.
These microwave poppers are made from either glass, plastic or silicone material. They also have a vented lid that allows for air to escape. The only drawback they have is that they get pretty hot after use, so you need to take precautions while taking them out of the microwave.
These are the most inexpensive versions of popcorn appliances. The stovetop popcorn appliances are famous for providing the best taste to the popcorn. They have a lid with a stirring mechanism that keeps them from sticking and burning. Unlike other popcorn appliances, these popcorn machines use oil or butter. These poppers are made from stainless steel or aluminium, which is the reason for their low cost. Lastly, they are super easy to clean & maintain.
How do Popcorn Makers work?
As there are three types of corn makers out there, the working of all of them varies slightly from each other. For instance:
- Air popcorn appliance: The air popper machine uses a heating element and hot air to pop the corn kernels. Unlike other corn makers, these do not use any hot oil for popping popcorns. When the popcorn pops, they start rising due to volume and start collecting in the serving bowl.
- Microwave popcorn appliances: These corn makers are extremely easy to use. All you need to do is add maize to the bowl and place it in the microwave. The warm air of the microwave pops the popcorn without any hassle. The structure also has a vented lid.
- Stovetop popcorn appliance: These popcorns makers use hot oil to make popcorns. The oil is heated either by a burner or by the electrical unit of the machine. Moreover, these machines have a lid with a stirring mechanism that keeps the popcorn from sticking to the surface or a coated surface.
With countless choices to choose from, it’s pretty obvious that one can get confused while picking a popcorn appliance. Hence, it is necessary to keep some key factors in mind while browsing through the products. Here are some of them:
1. Cook Time
The key factor that you need to consider while choosing a popper is the cooking time. If it does not save your time, then there is no use in it. Hence, you need one that takes minimum time. Fortunately, most of the poppers come with a cook time varying from 1 to 5 minutes per cycle. So, opt for the one that suits you the best.
If you are planning a film night with your friends or a kids party at your house, you will need a voluminous supply of popcorn. If you are going to use it just for yourself or for small quantities, then you can go with a smaller one. Hence, it is necessary to keep the volume of the popcorn appliances in check. You can buy a corn maker in the volume range of 100g to 1kg.
3. Cooking Method
The type of cooking method also matters if you want to make your experience hassle-free. For instance, the warm air poppers use air for popping off popcorns which do not need any interference. The same is the case with microwave poppers. But, the stovetop or electric makers may need you to stir the corn to prevent it from sticking or burning. Hence, the choice of maker depends on the type of cooking you prefer.
If you are buying a popcorn appliance, do check if it is easy to clean or not. You don’t want to keep a dirty machine in your own home, right? Popcorn appliances that use hot air to pop the corn are the easiest to clean as they do not need any oil or butter. Moreover, if you are opting for a stovetop maker, it may be hard to clean it if the popcorn sticks to the surface. Opt for one that has a coated surface for effortless cleaning.
There are many other features that you can look for aside from these basic ones, such as:
- Non-slip feet: The key to the stable operation of a popcorn appliance is the feet. Make sure that your corn maker features non-slip feet so that your maker stays stable while functioning.
- Spout: Look for a maker that features a spout. It is helpful as it will align the popcorn for falling into the bowl and will not create a mess.
- Compact: Choose a popcorn appliance that has a compact design so that it can be easily stored in the kitchen cupboard or stays on your tabletop without taking up too much space. Pay extra attention to this feature if you lack storage space in your kitchen.
What do you flavour Popcorn with?
Well, this question does not have a single answer. As each one of us has a unique taste, the flavouring can be of various types. Here are some of them that you can try:
- Dorito Flavour: Use a mix of garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast, cumin, chilli powder and salt to make this seasoning for popcorns.
- Cinnamon Sugar Flavour: It is a simple blend of cinnamon, salt and powdered sugar.
- Chocolate Flavour: Combine unsweetened cocoa powder, powdered sugar, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne pepper and sprinkle it on the popcorn.
- Ranch Flavour: Use a blend of dried dill, dried chives, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to make the flavour.
There are countless other flavours that you can choose to make as per your taste and preference! Other than these you can choose to simply go with the old-time classic butter.
How do you make healthy Popcorn?
If you are more of a health enthusiast, it is best to keep some of these essential tips in mind to make your popcorn healthy. Here are some of those tips:
- Use hot air popcorn appliances; they do not need oil or butter.
- Do not use any added sweeteners or chemicals.
- Avoid the use of kettle corn; it is mixed with refined salt and sugar.
- Use as little butter as possible.
- Use protein elements like peanut butter with the popcorn.
- Eat a dedicated amount of servings to avoid boosting calorie count.
Are Silicone Popcorn Appliances safe?
Yes, the silicone popcorn appliance is absolutely safe! Here are some reasons why you should invest in it:
- It is heat resistant and BPA-free, so it does not leach chemicals.
- Silicone is non-toxic.
- It is safe for the dishwasher, hence easy to clean.
The only downside of silicone is that it cannot be used for long, unlike stainless steel or glass. It can stain or crack with time.
How to clean Popcorn appliances?
The process of cleaning a corn maker varies based on the type. For instance:
- Hot Air Makers do not need anything special other than a damp cloth for cleaning. As they do not use any oil, they are the easiest to clean. You just need to clean its measuring cup or measuring spoon with warm soapy water if you have heated butter in it.
- Stovetop Makers need to be washed after every use as they need oil for making the best tasting popcorn. They can be easily washed with hands but not in a dishwasher.
- Micro-Cook Makers can be easily cleaned via hand or in a dishwasher. However, if it is electrical, don’t wash it in a dishwasher.
Always keep in mind…
A popcorn appliance can be a great addition to your kitchen gadgets if you are an entertainment fan. It can bring the movie theatre to your home! Because night beats the smell of freshly baked popcorn before a film night with friends and loved ones.
But, with all the options available it can be tough to choose one. Don’t fret though, this is why we have curated this guide, to help you pick easier. You can take a look at our roundup with the best products along with things that you need to consider. Good luck with choosing the ideal popcorn maker for you & Happy Popping!